Friday, September 26, 2008

Ricky Gervais and the "Arthur" font



I was flipping through the latest Entertainment Weekly and I read an article about some of the big roles Ricky Gervais had turned down over the past couple of years. He had an offer to star in a remake of the Dudley Moore film, Arthur, Gervais responded, ''I said 'no' straight-away. Why would I mess with a perfect comedy? They know people don't watch films that have the wrong font — it's got an '80s font.''

Now, I can picture drunk Dudley, Liza Minelli and butler John Gielgud, but for the life of me, I can't remember what typeface was used. I know it would look dated today.

As my co-worker, writer, Miguel would say, "If only there was some way of instantly finding out information. You know, a collection or network of computers somehow linked together in some web fashion..."

To the library!

Okay, so the reason I couldn't picture what typeface was used is because A) It wasn't really a typical bad "80's" font. and B) They used several different treatments. Seems like consistency wasn't that important back then. Take a look.






By the way the fonts appear to be Bodoni and Franklin Gothic.

No comments: